forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Making Cocoon Forrest-ready
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 10:21:04 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Diana Shannon wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to start taking advantage of the great resources here at
> > Forrest with Cocoon. A prior vote on the Cocoon list revealed no
> > negative votes to the idea of adding only document-v11-based dtds to the
> > Cocoon cvs. Because existing Cocoon docs are based on document-v10, I
> > have not yet been able to use the howto dtd I contributed to Forrest for
> > Cocoon How-Tos. Existing Cocoon How-Tos remain based on document-
> > v10.dtd, and early authors have shown a tendency to take a few
> > liberties, given the lack of a specific howto dtd. I have been hesitant
> > to commit such howtos (or revised faqs for that matter) to Cocoon's
> > release branch or live site, or announce the doc effort, because I
> > didn't want to have to spend my already limited time revising inevitable
> > community contributions later. Still, I am eager to start publicly
> > soliciting community contributions asap.
> >
> > I'd like to gather feedback on a proposed way to begin a *partial*
> > transition to Forrest readiness. I want to convert existing faqs and
> > how-to content to be validated against document-v11.dtd compatible dtds.
> > This effort would *not* include dealing with any other existing
> > documentation, yet. With your feedback, I will then ask for additional
> > comments on cocoon-dev.
> >
> > Process
> > 1. Add the new dtds and entities where appropriate in C2 cvs (in
> > src/documentation/xdocs/dtd and src/webapp/resources/entities)
> > 2. Add (with different names or in different locations?) updated
> > stylesheets for faq2document.xsl, document2html.xsl, etc.
> > 3. Modify the sitemap  to process faqs and how-tos with updated
> > stylesheet(s). This means, in part, explicit pipeline matchers, similar
> > to what I contributed to Forrest. (I already have issues with what I
> > contributed to Forrest, so expect a patch within a few days before I do
> > anything with Cocoon community files.)
> > 4. Modify existing faq and how-to xml content files
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Hmmm, if Steven was able to perform the whole xml-site translation, he
> might be willing to help on the complete transition of Cocoon docs to
> Document 1.1.
>
> That is abrupt, I agree. But since the DTDs are very similar, shouldn't
> provide any more problems to the document authors.
>
> Steven, what do you think?

It certainly would be good to do it in one fell swoop.
A few of us have been recently considering the migration
of xdocs. The task looks bigger every time i look at it.
Do not forget that there are FAQ and Changes DTDs too, and
various stylesheets (such as faq2document, doclist2document)
that generate document-v10 structure.

That is why we started to investigate a partial transition.
However, that brings its own set of problems. The scariest
of these is messing with the documentation sitemap to
accommodate both document types at once.

The full conversion would require a few hands on deck, and
take a couple of revolutions of the planet. Hey, we could
do shift-work ... it is my turn at the pub now, see you.

Should we move this discussion to cocoon-dev?
--David