forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject CVS: line-endings UNIX/DOS
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:40:30 GMT
I notice that most files in Forrest CVS have UNIX
line-endings (as they should) while some have DOS.

A Google search shows that this is an issue that arises
in many projects, and in some cases causes grief.
(Bert, i have been attempting to look in to this all week
and noticed your posting yesterday about this trouble.)

<quote ref="http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_9.html#SEC82">
... CVS by default converts line endings between the canonical form in
which they are stored in the repository (linefeed only), and the form
appropriate to the operating system in use on the client (for example,
carriage return followed by line feed for Windows NT).
</quote>

So how do some documents end up in CVS with dos line-endings?
One Google lead that i saw, was to do with a poorly-mounted
Windows filesystem and a commit via CygWin.

Anyway, as i notice the problems in my working-copy, i will do
a 'dos2unix; commit'. That will fix the repository, i presume.

--David