forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: DTD/XSLT mods: link and jump
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 09:35:20 GMT
Here is my summary of the current situation with the
link and jump and fork elements, of various discussion
on the forrest-dev list, and of any outstanding issues.
I am not saying that i know anything about this, rather
trying to summarise it to keep the decision process moving.

Current situation
-----------------
http://www.krysalis.org/forrest/document-v11.html
demonstrates the behaviour. Here is just the text ...
----
<link href="faq.html">
Use this to *link* to another document. As per normal, this
will open the new document in the same browser window.

<link href="#section">
Use this to *link* to the named anchor in the current document.

<link href="contrib.html#cvshowto">
Use this to *link* to another document and go to the named anchor.
This will open the new document in the same browser window.

<jump href="contrib.html">
Use this to *jump* to another document and optionally go to a
<jump href="contrib.html#cvshowto">
named *anchor* within that document. This will open the new
document in the same browser window. So what is the difference
between link and jump? The jump behaves differently, in that
it will replace any frames in the current window.
This is the equivalent of <a ... target="_top">

<fork href="faq.html">
Use this to *fork* your webbrowser to another document. This
will open the document in a new, unnamed browser window.
This is the equivalent of <a ... target="_blank">
----

I gather that the reason for having separate elements,
rather than just the link element, was to implement the
behaviour using a stylesheet to add target="_top|_blank".

Another reason may have been to provide high-level tags
so that authors could directly use the various link-type
behaviours.

Summary of forrest-dev discussion
---------------------------------
<quote who="Nicola Ken Barozzi" ref="1">
As the use of the old DTD showed us, link clones are
at best confusing, and not well understood. This happens
because we have different tags with the same meaning,
but different behaviour.
</quote>

The discussion seemed to point to having only one element
... <link> ... with various attributes.

The consensus was to not have an "anchor" attribute,
but rather use the conventional # in the href.

So ...

<link href="..."
 [external="true|false"]
 [target="..."]
 [role="..."]
 [title="..."]
/>

where ...
href = the URL, which may include an optional named anchor using #
external = define whether it is out-of-context (default false)
target = named window or frame, e.g. _blank or _top
role = (already in DTD, what is its purpose?)
title = (already in DTD, what is its purpose?)

Other issues
------------
* The demo document-v11.html needs to provide clear examples
and guidance about what situations the various possible
link attributes should be used. [3]

* There are some other link attributes that were in the
document-v10.dtd which are dropped from document-v11.dtd
These were to do with XLink. Was this drop intentional?

* I became a little rushed towards the end of this summary.
The discussion was in various threads, and i started to get
lost.