forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DocBook vs Open eBook
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 18:02:18 GMT
From: "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org>

> I am kind of interested in the Open eBook stuff as being a delivery
> grammar, not an authoring grammar, just as (X)HTML for webbrowsers and
> FO for print documentation.
>
> Does anyone on these lists has access to an eBook reader - the hardware,
> I mean, not the Microsoft/Adobe software products.
>
> Setting up a conversion from what we have as a source format to eBook
> format is trivial, and we could include this into Forrest given interest
> from both information producers and information consumers. Manning
> already offers some Java/XML books in eBook format, I don't see why we
> can't do that, too.

I've read the specification, and it's basically a cleaned HTML (trying to
use more CSS) with a kind of book.xml (called spine).
It seems geared towards presentation, while we want to try and use tags with
meaning, instead of style.

So I'm totally with Steven's POV: ebook is not for us, but it's really cool
as an output format, which could be supported in the future.

Anyway, it has interesting points in the descriptors that it uses.
Take particular notice of the Spine and the Tour, which seem very cool.

Book Metadata
------------------
example:
<package unique-identifier="xyz">
<metadata>
  <dc-metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.0/"
     xmlns:oebpackage="http://openebook.org/namespaces/oeb-package/1.0/">
    <dc:Title>Alice in Wonderland</dc:Title>
    <dc:Type>Novel</dc:Type>
    <dc:Identifier id="xyz"
       scheme="ISBN">123456789X</dc:Identifier>
    <dc:Creator role="aut">Lewis Carroll</dc:Creator>
  </dc-metadata>
</metadata>
</package>

A Manifest of the pubblication
The manifest provides a list of all the files that are parts of the
publication.

<manifest>
<item id="item1"
   href="FunDoc.txt"
   media-type="text/plain"
   fallback="fall1" />
<item id="fall1" fallback="fall2"
   href="FunDoc.html"
   media-type="text/html" />
<item id="fall2"
   href="FunDoc.oeb"
   media-type="text/x-oeb1-document" />
<item ...>
</manifest>

A Spine
------------
Following the manifest, there must be one spine element, which defines a
primary linear reading order of the publication. It specifies an ordered
list of one or more OEB documents
drawn from the manifest, using itemref elements contained within the spine
element.

<manifest>
<item id="toc"
   href="contents.html"
   media-type="text/x-oeb1-document" />
<item id="c1"
   href="chap1.html"
   media-type="text/x-oeb1-document" />
<item id="c2"
   href="chap2.html"
   media-type="text/x-oeb1-document" />
<item id="c3"
   href="chap3.html"
   media-type="text/x-oeb1-document" />
<item id="footnotes"
   href="footnotes.html"
   media-type="text/x-oeb1-document" />
<item id="f1" href="fig1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item id="f2" href="fig2.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item id="f3" href="fig3.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
</manifest>

<spine>
<itemref idref="toc" />
<itemref idref="c1" />
<itemref idref="c2" />
<itemref idref="c3" />
</spine>

Tours
---------
Much as a tour-guide might assemble points of interest into a set of
sightseers’ tours, a content provider may assemble selected parts of a
publication into a set of tours to enable convenient navigation.

<tours>
<tour id="tour1" title="Chicken Recipes">
  <site title="Chicken Fingers"   href="appetizers.html#r3" />
  <site title="Chicken a la King" href="entrees.html#r5" />
</tour>
<tour id="tour2" title="Vegan Recipes">
  <site title="Hummus" href ="appetizer.html#r6" />
  <site title="Lentil Casserole" href="lentils.html" />
</tour>
</tours>

2.6 Guide
Within the package there may be one guide element, containing one or more
reference
elements. The guide element identifies fundamental structural components of
the publication,
to enable reading systems to provide convenient access to them.
Example:

<guide>
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="toc.html" />
<reference type="loi" title="List Of Illustrations" href="toc.html#figures"
/>
<reference type="other.intro" title="Introduction" href="intro.html" />
</guide>

            - verba volant, scripta manent -