forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: import of xml.apache.org main site into forrest
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 05:57:06 GMT
From: "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org>

> > From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
>
> > What has this 3 hour exercise taught me:
>
> some other thoughts after a night of sleep:
>
> - error handling: there were some invalid links in the documents after
> translation, pointing to unexisting resources (basically the old <link
> idref=""/> elements). The crawler chokes on these with the interesting
> ArrayOutOfBoundsException and 10 screens of further garbage (this always
> reminds me of the beauty of Java exception handling ;-) - but no real
> error message on what is going wrong - the crawler should be patched for
> this. IIRC, Cocoon Servlet exception handling has been improved lately,
> could someone brief me on this?

Well, basically now Cocoon handles the errors that once were directly sent
to the servlet contaainer and closes the stream... I don't think it would
mean much to us...

> - which brings me to another idea: Gump-like runs, i.e. be silent when
> everything goes well, but nag the project when there is a validation or
> docs generation error - with a meaningfull error message. There is
> someone on this list who has some experience with this matter ;-)

If we upgrade Ant to 1.5 there is a maillogger that gets triggered on fails.
I'll put that in, Gump uses scripts instead, and it's a bit more messy in
this regard ;-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -