forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: import of xml.apache.org main site into forrest
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 05:54:16 GMT
From: "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org>

> Hi all,
>
> some mysterious motivational wind was blowing in my direction this
> evening, and I went haywire after my last visit to the ugly
> xml.apache.org main site.

:-D

> Result:
>
> - I've run all docs in the {xml-site}/sources/xml-site through the new
> docv10->docv11 translation stylesheet, tweaked the result manually, and
> imported the result of this into
> {xml-forrest}/src/documentation/content/xdocs/xml-site/
> - I rewrote the website.xml that came with it to our book.xml syntax,
> and added a link to the xml-site directory in our main book.xml
>
> If all goes well, we have a draft version of the main xml.apache.org
> site at www.krysalis.org/forrest/xml-site/ after forrestbot has done its
> job.

Yup, it's there!!!  :-D

> What has this 3 hour exercise taught me:
>
> - if the state of the other projects xml source files is comparable with
> those of the main site, we will need some thorough editorial review
> after migrating projects to forrest - people have been rather creative
> with the elements allowed by the old v10 DTD - using section-level
> elements instead of lists, inserting non-breakable spaces for table-like
> layout, <br>'s inside list items to mimick definition lists, etc... I
> haven't done much to solve these issues - so there's plenty of work for
> the editorially challenged amongst us :-)

Yup, I've had the same problems with other projects.
This means that our only possible route is helping to convert to our format.

> - we need to do something with the 'link' situation. Joerg, David et al,
> let's prepare a vote on this and resolve this thing. Now.
>
> - Please have a look at
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-site/sources/website.xml?rev=1.27&
> content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup which is the 'old' book.xml as has
> been used by the now defunct stylebook. I see <hidden> and <external>
> and I find these quite interesting. Your ideas?

I really don't understand "hidden" much, but external should be something to
add to the link tag (ie in-context link or out of context).

> - Previous xdocs didn't require an authors element being filled in - how
> will be solve this? Making authors optional again?

I'd leave unknown for now, so that it's seen.

> - Auto-generation of mini TOC's - should this be parametrizable? TOCs
> are generated now if sections exist within sections in a document, which
> was good for the forrest docs so far, but suboptimal for the content
> imported from the main site. On the other hand, these imported docs have
> been abusing the DTD to obtain certain visual effects, IMNSHO - so we
> could fix the docs, too.
>
> - The bert skin - in general, I think the body text is a point (or two)
> too big - there isn't too much text on a screen. Bert, can we fix this?
> I know I can change the settings of my browser, but I believe the
> default font-size is 12pt, which is simply too big, showing too little
> content on a 1024*768 screen.

+1

> Please review the result of this little transition exercise and post
> other issues you come across with.

On the top: apache : xml.apache : forrest
Which is normal of course, since you imported it in the forrest run.
We will need to remember to check this.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -