forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: import of xml.apache.org main site into forrest
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 15:16:52 GMT
From: "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org>

> Now, I believe the best place for 'behavioral skinning' controls should
> be the book.xml file, which is sort of a high level site map (not in the
> cocoon's sense of the term, but in the original 'map of the site' sense)
>
> So, depending on the document, it's up to who links the documento to the
> book to indicate whether or not this document should have particular
> skinning behaviors associated. Examples might be:
>
>  1) minitoc yes/no
>  2) printable version yes/no
>  3) multipage yes/no
>  4) ???
>
> allowing us to set those behaviors in a single location and separating
> the concern from the document author simplifis the editor's job of
> providing the best visual coherence and usability for the entire doco
> corpus.

+1

Also for being able to specify a spine, a guide and a tour descriptors.

See my [Re: DocBook vs Open eBook] latest post.

>  3) there is no DTD for .xgump and this makes the changes and toto DTDs
> obsolete. Having a complete DTD for xgump and removing the obsoleted
> DTDs is another showstopper.

Latest Centipede has a more articulate set of descriptors.
The developers, changes, and todos have been put in status.xml, as they are
more dynamic.
When switching to latest Centipede, we will use that if you all are ok.

Just as an information: Maven will soon propose to switch Gump to using the
Maven descriptor.
This will be a real PITA if it will fet through.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -