forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: import of xml.apache.org main site into forrest
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 10:49:06 GMT
From: "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org>

> Steven Noels wrote:
> > > Now, I believe the best place for 'behavioral skinning'
> > > controls should
> > > be the book.xml file, which is sort of a high level site map
> > > (not in the
> > > cocoon's sense of the term, but in the original 'map of the
> > > site' sense)
> > >
> > > So, depending on the document, it's up to who links the
> > > documento to the
> > > book to indicate whether or not this document should have particular
> > > skinning behaviors associated. Examples might be:
> > >
> > >  1) minitoc yes/no
> > >  2) printable version yes/no
> > >  3) multipage yes/no
> > >  4) ???
> > >
> > > allowing us to set those behaviors in a single location and separating
> > > the concern from the document author simplifis the editor's job of
> > > providing the best visual coherence and usability for the entire doco
> > > corpus.
> >
> > I like this idea, we need to think about this.
>
> I have the impression that you guys might be caught in the good old
> "don't who till is ready" ego trap with your 'libre' effort. Release
> early and often means also 'release when it barely does anything' so
> that people can interact with you *before* you spend months developping
> and find out that many things that you considered *very cool* are simply
> not needed anymore.

Stefano, currently Forrest is using book.xml. Noone on this list AFAIK is
waiting for the "libre" effort to proceed, and in fact as you've seen from
the mails with root and infrastructure things are moving.

> > > I'm offline so I don't have access (yet) to what you did, but I have a
> > > few comments since I spent yesterday afternoon making myself
> > > up-to-date
> > > with Forrest.
> > >
> > > Things to note:
> > >
> > >  1) the navigation path on top of the page is static. I mean, when you
> > > change page, the path doesn't change. We *must* fix this before making
> > > Forrest go live.
> >
> > -0 - we can do this later on, too. This is another area which could be
> > touched by upcoming book.xml alternatives/additions, so we need to be
> > careful with this.
>
> Again, it's kind of hard to understand what to plan if we don't even
> know what you guys are up to.

I guess Steven is the only one to know ;-)

What I know, is that maybe, in the future, someone will come up with a solid
proposal to change book.xml to something that is better, but I don't count
on it now.

> > >  3) there is no DTD for .xgump and this makes the changes and
> > > toto DTDs
> > > obsolete. Having a complete DTD for xgump and removing the obsoleted
> > > DTDs is another showstopper.
> >
> > Honestly, we don't have much dependencies on Gump. Build & project
> > automation is a very political area,  cfr. Nicola's remark. Some careful
> > thinking will be required.
>
> I still don't understand why we need to incorporate changes and todos
> into a project description file.
>
> Nicola, what's your thinking about this?

I agree. In fact the latest Centipede has them separated from the
descriptor.

Ok, I guess it's time do describe here what are the descriptors centipede
currently uses:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-centipede/

(project descriptors)
  module.xml (enhanced gump descriptor)
  status.xml (developers, todos and changes)
(build descriptors)
  build.xml  (ant buildfile)
  properties.xml (ant properties in xml)
  layout.xml (description of the project dir structure)

The reason why I put developers, todos and changes is that they have a
similar update frequency (and removing a todo with a change), and that the
changes and todos need developers as references.

I would like to upgrade Forrest's centipede to use the latest descriptors
and
1. upgrade Gump DTD to the compatible module.xml one
2. make the status.xml DTD part of the Forrest dtds, instead of changes and
todo.

What do you think?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -