forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: import of xml.apache.org main site into forrest
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 10:36:30 GMT
From: "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org>

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> > >  3) there is no DTD for .xgump and this makes the changes and toto
DTDs
> > > obsolete. Having a complete DTD for xgump and removing the obsoleted
> > > DTDs is another showstopper.
> >
> > Latest Centipede has a more articulate set of descriptors.
> > The developers, changes, and todos have been put in status.xml, as they
are
> > more dynamic.
> > When switching to latest Centipede, we will use that if you all are ok.
> >
> > Just as an information: Maven will soon propose to switch Gump to using
the
> > Maven descriptor.
> > This will be a real PITA if it will fet through.
>
> Can you elaborate more on this?

Ok.

Gump has his descriptor for the projects.
Good or bad, it works, and there is one for every Java Apache project.

Now, Jason van Zyl <jvanzyl@zenplex.com> doesn't like it, and the last
changes it had (the module/project dichotomy) were AFAIK result of his
suggestions, allthough he now thinks it's crap.

Jason started making Maven (AFAIK) as a possible replacement to Gump, since
he doesn't like the current scripting approach (fair enough).
At one point, he took the Gump classes that describe the objectmodel, Moved
Maven under Turbine, and started a new project descriptor.

In the meantime, I started using Gump's descriptor with additions for
Centipede, and the projects that use Centipede (Forrest included).

Sam and I tried to get Jason agree on a common format, but failed.

I posted a proposal on alexandria-dev that intends to make Gump, Alexandria,
Maven, Centipede, etc... work seamlessly, and it had a very good acceptance.
I'm working on it, and will post a patch to Alexandria-dev soon.

Now, Jason has explicitely stated on the Avalon-dev list that he will
propose Maven as a substitute to Gump, and switch the descriptor format to
Maven's, this for all Java Apache projects of course.

If we start using the enhanced gump descriptor to describe projects in
Forrest, and then it changes, *that* would be a PITA.

I suppose everyone knows how I fell about it, since I have explained it
enough to nauseate anybody, and that's why I was maybe too criptic in the
first place.

I'm not accusing anybody, in case it isn't clear.
All Maven guys and specifically Jason are doing a great job with Maven and
Commons; these are just the facts+my feelings, not judgements on people.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -