forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivelin Ivanov" <ive...@apache.org>
Subject Re: http://www.openebook.org/ compliance?
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 15:07:22 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org>
To: <forrest-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 1:49 AM
Subject: RE: http://www.openebook.org/ compliance?

> > From: Ivelin Ivanov [mailto:ivelin@apache.org]
>
> > The xml markup appears to be a superset of document-v10.
> > Issues like resource referencing through a catalog of links have been
> > addressed.
> > (This is related to the issue Rob and I discussed recently.
> > The solution is
> > similar too, using ids for each link.)
>
> Seems like a mixture of XHTML and Dublin Core metadata to me. Ideally,
> we should have a pipeline that aggregates all documents and publishes
> them as one eBook 'pkg' document.

Correct. This is what I thought.
Another thing I like is that there are tons of publishing professionals
figuring out the presentation details, doing the usability research, etc. We
don't need to worry about it. Validating schemas, skins, etc. come for free
too.

At a first glance, it doesn't seem like an overbloated standard.
The major components of the OEBPS Package file look right:

Package Identity - A unique identifier for the OEBPS Publication as a whole.

Metadata - Publication metadata - (title, author, publisher, etc.).

Manifest - A list of files (documents, images, style sheets, etc.) that make
up the publication. The manifest also includes fallback declarations for
files of types not supported by this specification.

Spine - An arrangement of documents providing a linear reading order.

Tours - A set of alternate reading sequences through the publication, such
as selective views for various reading purposes, reader expertise levels,
etc.

Guide - A set of references to fundamental structural features of the
publication, such as table of contents, foreword, bibliography, etc.

>Interesting thought - does anyone has
> an eBook reading device on this list?

PalmOS and Windows CE devices can read eBooks with the right software.

eBook software:
http://publishing.about.com/cs/ebooksoftware/

You can download Acrobat eBook reader for free to read on your PC.
http://www.adobe.com/products/ebookreader/register.html

MS Word and Acrobat FrameMaker claim to be (soon) able to export/import Open
eBook docs.

eBook Software Capabilities: Pushing the Envelope
http://12.108.175.91/ebookweb/stories/storyReader$459