forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Forrest is running :-)
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 07:18:27 GMT
On 29 May 2002, David Crossley <crossley@indexgeo.com.au> wrote:

> I wonder what happens when "build docs" fails?
> Does deploysite still proceed.

It will at least be run.

> I am no Ant expert,

Well, I guess you could call me one, but I make up for it by knowing
nothing about Forrest or Centipede ;-)

> Is it sufficient to make deploysite depend on 'docs'?

Would be cleaner than what is currently there, even

./build.sh docs deploysite

instead of two calls would probably work better (and the first thing
*I* would do was getting rid of build.sh completely, I want *my* Ant,
not Forrest's Ant to do the job).

I have a couple of problems with some minor points that I'd like to
address when Ant 1.5 is out (mainly because I won't find the time to
do so).

One major thing is the unless attribute of the deploy target, this
won't do anything as the value of this attribute specifies the name of
a *single* property - and you'll probably never have a property with
the name "deploy.username, deploy.package-name
                                    deploy.data.dir, deploy.hostname, deploy.remotedir"

What you really want (Ant 1.4.1) is

  <target name="deploy" if="deploy.props.have.been.set"
          depends="check-deploy-props">
  </target>

  <target name="check-deploy-props">
    <condition property="deploy.props.have.been.set">
      <not>
        <or>
          <equals arg1="${deploy.username}" arg2="$${deploy.username}" />
          ... and so on ...
        </or>
      </not>
    </condition>
  </target>

Ant 1.5 with <isset> will make this more concise.

Back to your regularly scheduled program:

It looks as if deploysite really depends on docs to have been run, as
it tries to deploy the generated docs, so the most logical thing to do
may be to make deploysite depend on docs and stick with a single Ant
run, but I may be missing some point.

Stefan