forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: file naming convention
Date Sun, 05 May 2002 21:02:27 GMT
Diana wrote:

> If so, then
> I'd rather err on the side of usefulness given the limited
> lifetime of
> the documents in question.

+1

and if we would use numbers in URI's to pinpoint a certain version of a
resource, we should clearly label those numbers as being version
attributes, e.g.

   http://www.apache.org/<forrest-project>/manual/overview/v1.2

or the like.

Another nice example is http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xslt20-20020430/,
equivalent to http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/

As per extensions: the main problem here is using them in hyperlinks,
i.e. <a href="/<forrest-project>/faqs/jboss.html">, which does or
doesn't make sense when consuming a resource with a specific UA.

Looking at the W3C website, most public URI's are extension-less, i.e.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt, which is equivalent to
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xslt-19991116, or http://www.w3.org/TR
being equivalent to http://www.w3.org/TR/.

Can we presume that an off-line crawler is a UA that is able to
negotiate HTML renditions of a resource to be fetched, and as such saves
them using an *.html extension?

Apart form this, this versioning info inside URL's worries me a bit,
since I'd prefer to keep track of document revision control using CVS,
and possibly ViewCVS for publicizing documents not ready for prime time:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-cocoon2/src/documentation/xdocs/co
ntrib.xml?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Although I'm perfectly happy to use infra-document metadata for that,
too, my only hesitation is that it is easier to forget increasing a
version attribute in XML, than circumventing the automatic versioning of
CVS.

Ideas, folks?

</Steven>