forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: documentation and images
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 21:35:07 GMT
Nicola,

> > Currently, the sitemap presumes all images are part of the skin
> > directory and not of the content(/xdocs) hierarchy, which I find
> > cumbersome.
>
> Ahem, sorry, current forrest.cent does have this  :-/ (Ken
> feeling a bit
> ashamed)

You'd better ;-|

I was just doing a fresh checkout of centipede cvs. Forrest sourcecode,
the creation of forrest.cent and DTDs really should be centralized in
xml-forrest, I believe. If only I'd have some more time :-|

Even worse:

bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xml-forrest
avail|twl,rubys,stefano,morrijr,crossley,stevenn,dirkx,nicolaken|xml-for
rest
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^

> > I have a quick patch ready for the sitemap that addresses
> > this, simply adding pipelines for 'local' images:
> >
> >    <map:match pattern="**.gif">
> >      <map:read src="content/xdocs/{1}.gif" mime-type="image/gif"/>
> >    </map:match>
> >
> >    <map:match pattern="**.jpg">
> >      <map:read src="content/xdocs/{1}.jpg" mime-type="image/jpeg"/>
> >    </map:match>
> >
> >    <map:match pattern="**.png">
> >      <map:read src="content/xdocs/{1}.png" mime-type="image/png"/>
> >    </map:match>
> >
> > Does anyone has strong feelings against this? Should we standardize
> > where documentation-related images should be put? I'd
> rather want these
> > close to the actual documents.
>
> Personally I would prefer an /images dir like in forrest.cent.
> In my company we use a single images directory that has a different
> hierarchy than the docs one.
> It helps in creating a common image archive and image reuse.

Valid point, even more valid if someone would create an images dir
inside xdocs :-)

I'll patch the existing "images/**.png" matcher then, and think of a
matcher for skin-based images to replace that one... Ideas?

(Nicola, I'm not really angry - but indeed it's what I have been fearing
over the past few weeks, and I hope the same will not happen when we
move the management of DTDs out of Cocoon to Forrest, too...)

(sigh... is it because of the projects name? why is this thing so
difficult to keep on its tracks?)

Oh well, better get working again...

</Steven>