forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: draft howto dtd
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 18:32:31 GMT
> From: J.Pietschmann [mailto:j3322ptm@yahoo.de]

> Steven Noels wrote:
> > At best, XML Schemas are commonly considered to be primarly
> data- and
> > not document-focused. Furthermore, the spec is crap, and the
> > implementations are only able to make some sense of this crap.
>
> You don't have to use every feature XSchema allows. I basically
> use a subset roughly equivalent to DTD but with namespace support.
> The only primitive datatypes in my schemas are strings and dates.

My main concerns with XML Schemas isn't based on its (quite insane set
of) data types. It's the model behind it which tries to be too much for
too many different people, and the syntax which is obfuscating at best.
Let's be honest: the example you give in your other mail could be
possible, but you know the Schema syntax in which it will be encoded
will be horrible, and in many chances not transferable/equivalently
interpreted between different tools.

Just my ? 0.02

</Steven>