forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "John Morrison" <john.r.morri...@ntlworld.com>
Subject RE: [Wings] charting development
Date Mon, 13 May 2002 20:41:51 GMT
> From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
>
> John,
>
> > I did a search of Google and sourceforge and,
> > although I know Keiron from the FOP development I've not found
> > any mention of wings (at least, nothing to do with Java Chart
> > development ;)
> >

> Keiron is proposing to contribute his own unnamed code to Wings, I
> believe...

Would it be better placed in the Cocoon project (third party if
necessary)?  I know *I* could use it for some of the project's I'm
involved with...

> Wings itself is situated at
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-wings/
> currently, but doesn't offer any XML i/o as far as I understand. Having
> an XML input to a charting package would be cool and alleviate some of
> the Forrest burdens, I guess...

come to that, does wing's plug into Cocoon or Krysalis/Centipede?

> A friend mentioned http://www.object-refinery.com/jfreechart/, doesn't
> have any XML input, too, plus it uses LGPL as a license...

I don't know what licenses we can/can't use :(  I think it's a shame
we can't all work together.

I'll take a look at the jfreechart, perhaps we could come up with a common
DTD/Schema for describing charts in XML?  Thats what I wanted to do with
the code I contributed to Batik - start a development going, but nothing
caught :(

Anyway, thanks for the links,

J.