forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Bentley <...@webguy.com.au>
Subject Re: Forrest look-and-feel
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 08:43:39 GMT

On Monday, May 27, 2002, at 04:14  PM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> From: "David Crossley" <crossley@indexgeo.com.au>
>
>> It would help to try keep the look-and-feel aspects discussed
>> in a separate thread and leave the browser-specific things
>> to the other threads.
>>
>> A few issues have been identified so far. Please add any more
>> such high-level issues.
>>
>> 1) Square edges on the panels vs rounded corners.
>
> When I saw the rounded edges, I likd them.
> Them they became squared, and I still preferred the rounded.
> Now you show me rounded again, and I realize how crappy the page looks
> while
> downloading.
>
> So I'm for the squared.
> I would like the page to look as pleasant as possible from the first
> character the browser displays.
>
>> 2) Need minimum indents for <ul><li> in the menu panel.
>
> +1
>
>> Can basic CSS can fix that?

Not across all browsers.

>> 3) Where will the page title be placed? Will it just be the
>> first piece of content below the light-blue "Page 1 of 5"?
>> Will it be an <h2> level heading?
>
> The page title should be clearly shown on top of the page IMHO.
>
> BTW, I don't like paging at all, because it obliges me to scroll
> anyways and
> then page too.
> We could keep some ability to switch pages, but it should be based on
> sections IMHO, not on breaking pages just for length preservation.
>
>> 4) Is something gained by the white vertical bar down
>> the left-hand side of the window? We need to retain all
>> possible page space.
>
> +1
>
>> *) More?
>
> Put in some non-compulsory emacscript that can collapse the left-hand
> side.
> It's just a matter of setting the vivibility of that div element.

Here are some Usability issues in regard to that;
*Hides navigation from the User.
*Naming of level 1 menu items becomes an increased issue for content
authors as 2nd level is not visable
*User needs to click to discover more navigation - User may require
repeated clicks until desired submenu item is found.
*User may initially be led down wrong path because they do not see an
item that more clearly represents their target.

*if implemented bullet marks should be replaced by some convention eg.
opening and closing triangle; to flag that there is hidden navigation.
Only a couple of browsers have implemented the CSS to replace an HTML
List's bullet mark with an image.

> --

I found this recent article on usability quite good - nice summery
<http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/002330.php>

Is this kind of input helpful?, Chris