forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <terrac...@mac.com>
Subject Re: new community section
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 16:32:16 GMT

On Friday, May 24, 2002, at 11:09  AM, Piroumian Konstantin wrote:

> Is this intended to be a new 'Community' tab in the tabbed menu (near
> the
> 'Home')?

Could be, no thoughts on that.

>>       - tutorial
>>       - snippet
>>       - howto
>>          - book.xml
>>          - index.xml
>
> What's the conceptual difference between index.xml and book.xml? One of
> these can be generated automatically from the other, isn't it? Or both
> can
> be generated using the same source.

Yes, this would be ideal. I didn't want to do too much, in anticipation
of Steven's DirectoryGenerator-on-steroids.

>>           - bugzilla-patch
>>               - book.xml
>>               - howto-bugzilla-patch.xml
>>               - revision-howto-bugzilla-patch-2002-10-1.xml
>
> I don't much like the idea of directory-like file names, isn't it
> better to
> have a 'revsions' directory and place all the revisions there.

I've had it both ways. I don't care, either way. However, the revisions
directory should go in the individual howto diretory, IMO.

>  It's also
> possible that there be more then one revision in one day and some other
> identifier will be needed to identify the file.

It can handle multiple revisions for a single page. They just need to
start with revision-<filename>-<unique trailer>.xml. I use "starts-with"
in the stylesheet directory2revisions to grab revisions per page.

>>              - my-images
>
> Why not simply 'images'?

If you keep it images, then there's a conflict with other sitemap
pipelines for skin-related images. In other words, if you change it to
images, then you get broken links for header and other graphics. Try it.
You'll see what I mean.

> HowTos can be quite short and simple documents without additional
> images or
> so and having a separate directory for every case is a little
> superflous.
> Can there be several HowTos in the same directory?

I don't think this is a good idea. I'm trying to keep it modular, to
ease future additions and revisions for both authors and committers. I
really want the check for revisions to be automatic. If you have loose
individual howto files, then their associated revisions files will
really clutter up the howto directory.

Diana