forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Morrison, John" <John.Morri...@uk.experian.com>
Subject RE: [Wings] charting development
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 07:19:57 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> From: "John Morrison" <john.r.morrison@ntlworld.com>
>
> > > From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
> > >
> > > John,

> > > Keiron is proposing to contribute his own unnamed code to Wings, I
> > > believe...
> >
> > Would it be better placed in the Cocoon project (third party if
> > necessary)?  I know *I* could use it for some of the project's I'm
> > involved with...
>
> It can be placed anywhere, but as for Community, I think that Cocoon
> scratchpad or contrib is not the answer.

Hey - peace :)  I didn't mean to upset!

> I had more commits on wings on krysalis than in Cocoon
> scratchpad for the
> Cocoon Chart2Svg Transformer.

Fair enough.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-wings/
> > currently, but doesn't offer any XML i/o as far as I understand. Having
> > an XML input to a charting package would be cool and alleviate some of
> > the Forrest burdens, I guess...
>
> come to that, does wing's plug into Cocoon or Krysalis/Centipede?
>
> Wings is just a charting package.

What's that an answer too?  Cocoon, Krysalis?  Either?  Neither?

> > > A friend mentioned http://www.object-refinery.com/jfreechart/, doesn't
> > > have any XML input, too, plus it uses LGPL as a license...
> >
> > I don't know what licenses we can/can't use :(  I think it's a shame
> > we can't all work together.
> >
> > I'll take a look at the jfreechart, perhaps we could come up with a
common
> > DTD/Schema for describing charts in XML?  Thats what I wanted to do with
> > the code I contributed to Batik - start a development going, but nothing
> > caught :(
>
> Well, the primary goal of Wings is to become a charting package API.
> Secondly of having an Apache license implementation.

My only clevat is that I (personal opinion) don't like projects containing
other projects.

> I had a discussion with JChart main dev, and asked him to merge with
> Krysalis.
>
> He thinks that LGPL serves him better...

His choice.  However, would he work together to develop either a common
interface or at least a common input data format?

> Anyway, we just had a volunteer on the krysalis list to make the Cocoon
> Chart Transformer working.
>
> Krysalis is a momentum builder, and it's starting to work.
>
> We are constantly in the top 100 on sf, and 20 on the mailing list,
growing
> per 2-3 a day.

I neither like nor fully trust the 'stats' that SF give.  I don't know
how they are generated, and I'm sure you know the saying about lies, dam
lies and statistics ;)

> I think that it's a good opportunity for starting new projects, don't you
> think?

Personally, I'm unsure.  I think maybe the Apache people don't setup
projects
perhaps as often or quickly as they maybe should, on the other hand, they've
been 'burnt' before...

I *do* prefer projects living at Apache once they qualify for acceptance,
but that's the control freak in me :)  I hate to think of what would happen
to all that code if SF went away.

J.

of this email.