forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: new community section
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 15:09:03 GMT
> From: Diana Shannon [mailto:terracare@mac.com]
>
> Forrest friends,
>
> Attached are proposed new files (and modifications for existing ones
> created as unified diff) designed to ease integration of community
> document submissions into existing project sites. The basic directory
> structure:
> - xdocs
>    - community

Is this intended to be a new 'Community' tab in the tabbed menu (near the
'Home')?

>       - tutorial
>       - snippet
>       - howto
>          - book.xml
>          - index.xml

What's the conceptual difference between index.xml and book.xml? One of
these can be generated automatically from the other, isn't it? Or both can
be generated using the same source.

>           - bugzilla-patch
>               - book.xml
>               - howto-bugzilla-patch.xml
>               - revision-howto-bugzilla-patch-2002-10-1.xml

I don't much like the idea of directory-like file names, isn't it better to
have a 'revsions' directory and place all the revisions there. It's also
possible that there be more then one revision in one day and some other
identifier will be needed to identify the file.

>               - my-images

Why not simply 'images'?

>                    - screen.gif
>
> This allows all contributions to be modular, which in turns
> means they
> are
>    - simple to create: authors have access to a complete template
> directory with everything they need,
>    - simple to commit: just add new directory (with contribution) to
> correct parent directory (howto, snippet, tutorial) and modify
> corresponding book.xml and index.xml of parent, and
>    - simple to revise: committers can add community revisions
> patches to
> any page without analyzing. They just add patch as separate file in
> proper directory with name beginning "revision-filename-...".

HowTos can be quite short and simple documents without additional images or
so and having a separate directory for every case is a little superflous.
Can there be several HowTos in the same directory?

I've just finished John's CVS through SSH HowTo creation and looking for the
proper place for it. Would be fine if we could agree on the structure today.

Konstantin