forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: Wish/Dream List for Document DTD
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 09:46:41 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> From: "Piroumian Konstantin" <KPiroumian@protek.com>
> > David,
> >
> > > From: David Crossley [mailto:crossley@indexgeo.com.au]
> > > Please see the "links" section of the Demo document-v11
> > > where we have some issues with <link> and <jump>
> > > Some of us are very unclear about the distinction between.
> > > We also discussed it a bit here ...
> > >  Re: new demo document-v11
> > >  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102118987017521
> >
> > Thanks for pointing me to this thread. This is exactly the
> same thing that
> > am trying to achieve. I absolutely share this opinion:
> >
> > <quot>
> > I remember getting very confused by the jump element (and fork
> > and connect) when i started writing a big doc for Cocoon.
> > I wanted a little table-of-contents at the top to jump to relevant
> > sections below. So confused that i resorted to using simple
> > <link href="#anchor"> which worked OK.
> > </quot>
> >
> > Maybe we can simply vote for replacing all the 'link'
> clones and leaving
> the
> > one that the most people are used to? I mean simple <link href=""
> > [target=""] /> (not sure for the 'target')?
> >
> > What are the objections?
>
> As the use of the old DTD showed us, link clones are at best
> confusing, and
> not well understood.
> This happens because we have different tags with the same meaning, but
> different behaviour.
>
> Attributes should be used in these cases, so I agree.
>
> <link href="" [ref=""] [external="true|false"] />
>
> href: url
> ref: id to jump to

+0.5 (I don't quite like the 'href'/'ref' naming, but it's Ok for now).

> external= true if the link points to a resource that is out of context

I see how that 'external' links can be displayed in a different way, but how
they should behave? One will need to control if the link is opened in the
same window, a new one or in another frame. So, what about a 'target'
attribute (maybe along with the 'external')?

Konstantin