forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: draft howto dtd
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 14:21:57 GMT

> Konstantin, (;-))

What a strange mail server is that MS Exchange ;)

> > Having Schemas first and implementation next for all the
> > transformers/logicsheets would allow to keep in sync either
> > the source code
> > and the docs. I can imagine something like this in a
> transformer docs:
> >
> > <section>
> >   <title>Markup</title>
> >   <cinclude:include href="cocoon:/dtd/i18n.xsd" />
> > </section>
> >
> > And a pipeline like:
> > <match pattern="*.xsd">
> >       <generate src="{1}.xsd" />
> >       <transform src="xsd2table.xsl" />
> >       <serialize />
> > </match>
> >
> > A stylesheet can generate a table like: "element |
> > description | attributes"
> > and even have jumps to details like:
> > - Element
> >       - Description
> >       [- Attributes
> >               - Descriptions]*
> >
> > Am I dreaming too much? ;)
> >

> I guess so ;-)
>
> Problem is that most components need code at some level, and
> apparently
> people are happier describing functionalities & interfaces using code
> instead of declarative XML grammars.

I think that you got me wrong. I don't speak about the functionalities and
interfaces of components or other Java classes. Almost all of the
transformers and logicsheets has some markup, e.g. i18n transformer has:
	i18n:text
	i18n:date
	i18n:date-time
etc. some other elements. Every element has its own attributes, and those
attributes has a set of allowed values. Say:
<i18n:date-time format="dd:MM:yyyy hh:mm:ss EEE" locale="en_GB" .../>.

So, my idea is to have Schema for every transformer or logicsheet. Some
generators also can have a defined format (e.g. Directory Generator). But
why I am saying all this, I'm sure you know it very well.

So, what is my idea: each of this markups could be transformed into HTML
(PDF, text) docs automatically if there were a Schema for them. Those docs
could be included into existing docs written by hand.

Though, I've almost finished the element/attribute description part of i18n
transformer xdoc that I've written without any automagics. After I finish it
I am going to create an XSD for it. ;)

I think that we all agreed that having XSDs for Forrest/docs is not
necessary now, didn't we?

Konstantin.