forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: draft howto dtd
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 07:39:38 GMT
Steven,

> From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
>
> Ivelin,
>
> > Do you guys thing its time to switch the DTD to XML Schema ?
> > Xalan supports XML Schema validation and I've used it in
> > production for a
> > while now.
>
> At best, XML Schemas are commonly considered to be primarly data- and
> not document-focused. Furthermore, the spec is crap, and the
> implementations are only able to make some sense of this crap.
>
> Sorry for being so frank, but after teaching some courses on XML
> Schemas, I'm quite convinced it is a horribly bloated language.

But you can't disagree that XSD has also some very useful features. And
having a visual tool like XML Spy (Schema editor), I even haven't to know
the XSD language details to create usable schemas. And the other good thing
about the XSD is that it's XML and you can use XSLT to display it as you
like.

E.g. all Cocoon transformers, logicsheets and some generators should have
their corresponding DTDs or schemas and they should be linked from the docs.
I can see a lot more good features with XSD: filtering by element types,
sorting, getting attributes for an element. I even think that some parts of
docs can be autogenerated from XSD using the comments from it.

What do you think?

Regards,
  Konstantin

P.S. Hope to finish i18n doc rewriting in v11 format this weekend and will
try to come up with a more real world sample page for documentation menu.