forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <terrac...@mac.com>
Subject new community section
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 21:03:00 GMT
Forrest friends,

Attached are proposed new files (and modifications for existing ones
created as unified diff) designed to ease integration of community
document submissions into existing project sites. The basic directory
structure:
- xdocs
   - community
      - tutorial
      - snippet
      - howto
         - book.xml
         - index.xml
          - bugzilla-patch
              - book.xml
              - howto-bugzilla-patch.xml
              - revision-howto-bugzilla-patch-2002-10-1.xml
              - my-images
                   - screen.gif

This allows all contributions to be modular, which in turns means they
are
   - simple to create: authors have access to a complete template
directory with everything they need,
   - simple to commit: just add new directory (with contribution) to
correct parent directory (howto, snippet, tutorial) and modify
corresponding book.xml and index.xml of parent, and
   - simple to revise: committers can add community revisions patches to
any page without analyzing. They just add patch as separate file in
proper directory with name beginning "revision-filename-...". Links to
this file's content get aggregated to document content based on
directory generator results. The idea behind this is we can include as
many revisions as often as necessary. Later on, time permitting, the
author or committer/editor can roll them into updated documents.

I've included only howtos, but the sitemap can handle all other types of
future contributions (tutorials, snippets, etc.) I included three
example how-tos: single-page, multiple-page with revisions, single-page
with image. These three variations helped me tweak the dtd and howto
stylesheet further. You'll find here an excellent how-to written by
David on the bugzilla patch process. I realize the multi-page howto on
xmlform isn't relevant to Forrest specifically, but I wanted to work on
something I also needed for Cocoon.

There are probably more elegant ways to accomplish this, but I think
you'll get the picture of what I'm trying to achieve. If this works for
Forrest, I'll make up template directories with template files and
instructions included. I'd like to use this approach for Cocoon asap.

I hope I provided all necessary files in good form. Thanks for your
feedback and revisions.

Diana

P.S. Please note this weekend is a three-day holiday in the States. I'm
going to stay away from my computer for that time and get my garden
planted :-)