forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Bentley <...@webguy.com.au>
Subject Re: Forrest HTML
Date Sun, 26 May 2002 11:40:52 GMT
Hi Bert,

On Sunday, May 26, 2002, at 06:55  PM, Bert Van Kets wrote:

>> Well the cleanest would be using CSS :) But the reason to check what
>> browsers the users actually use will tell us what browsers *need* to
>> look perfect. Those that fall into a certain low percentage and
>> display the page incorrectly are not considered in testing,  nor is
>> time spent on trying to make it work.

This is the headspace I have the most experience with....

> I don't agree since you will be getting a VERY false image on browser
> use.  Let me give an extreme example:  You have a page that is only
> viewable on IE.  How many Netscape hits do you think you will get?
> NONE!
> We must start out with the most common delimiter starting from a
> certain browser version

How have you determined what that is without viewing some current site
stats or doing User profiling?

>  and a certain group of browser types (IE4, NS 4.08 Opera5 and Lynx
> 2.4).  Only after a certain period of time will the server stats tell
> of we can upgrade our technology.
>
> Bert

also I can help you with testing I have 3 macs and a win2k box which
I can install any OS between 8.0 and 9.1 on the older Mac but need to
keep IE5 installed on the Win2k box on OS X on my other macs, but I
have pretty much every major browser release for the Macs going back to
Netscape 2... I suspect your Mac User profile might be a OS X only
zone. :)

cheers, Chris