forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject RE: new skin
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 11:25:47 GMT
I've updated the skin, you can see/download the new version at
www.dream-models.com

><snip>
>Looks good here (WinNT 4.0, IE 5.5).
>I've took a look at the HTML in DreamWeaver - it seems that you had hard
>times with all that small adjusting images (one image, to be exact). Great
>job, Bert! Are your skins ready to be committed?

I use dreamweaver as an editor, but hand code all the html (incl.
tables).  Actually XMLSpy is even better at coding html, but then you don't
have the preview part or all the extra features like link checking and
ftp.  I must install 1st page again.  I've been using that for a long time too.

>A few suggestions:
>         - I'd suggest to make the 'HowTos' a tab to show how the page look
>like with more than one tab

done

>         - modify the stylesheet to display the current tab and the current
>menu item (tell me if you need help with this one)

not done yet since this implies some sitemap and parameter tweaking.  My
current ETA for this is Monday.

>A minor corrections:
>         - originally, section names in menu were also white and bold. Black
>on blue is not read well.

done.  There is some final tweaking to do on the CSS.  I don't like the way
the menu behaves at the moment.  There's also too much mixture of CSS and
font tags.  The bold on a.active and the dark red are not good.  I've got
to come up with an alternative.

>         - you don't have a space between 'by' and 'Steven'

Done, was due to pretty printing the XSL file.

>         - the content font seems to me a little larger than it was
>originally - it can be a matter of taste, but, IMO, Verdana fonts are not
>read good when the size is more than 10pt.

Done, the default font was indeed set to Vedana in CSS.  I've removed.  Now
the fonts are Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif.  Looks a lot better.  If you
check the HTML you will see that I incorporated Arial everywhere.  The
Verdana is an unfortunate inheritance.  Anyway: solved

>         - you don't have the copyright sign (you know where)

Done

>         - some tables on the 'primer' page are too wide and cause a
>horizontal scrolling to appear on my 1024 È 768 resolution display

Setting the Arial font corrected this a little.  I've changed the CSS code
so that the font is 0.75 em of the default font.  Lots better.

I've have also incorporated an external link feature in the
book2html.xsl.  Change the menu tag to external and the target="_blank"
property will be added to the <a href>
I'll send a diff patch when the dynamic menu system is done.

Bert

>Regards,
>   Konstantin
>
>P.S. Dream models site now looks much better. Nice pictures! ;)
>I see three icons at the right side of the page caption, but they don't have
>links. Is it Ok?

Yep, they will be activated as soon as the content is placed.  I'm very
much preoccupied with Cocoon related stuff (incl. forrest) to get to
putting content in my RC models site.  One day, it will be
running.  Probably when I'm retired. ;-)