forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] [Questions] XSLT, CSS and Browser support
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 07:33:01 GMT
Carlos,
I am in the process of creating a new version of the default skin for
Forrest.  I am sending it to Steven today.  The differences are a bit too
big to make a diff file, certainly in teh site2xhtml.xsl file.
I actually created a whole new page keeps the current look, apart from
rounded corners, but is viewable in most every browser you can think of,
including Lynx, Netscape 4.08 and Netscape 4.7!
To my opinion we must maintain that compatibility and are therefor obliged
to use <font> tags.  If we replace them by CSS the site will not be usable
by the older browsers.  We don't want that, do we?  Besides, have you
looked at the current forrest site with Netscape 4.08????  VERY ugly!
I think that CSS can be used to make the page more appealing, but not as a
basic page building tool.

You are right about the use of pixedl hights, but the reason to use ems is
that the fonts remain scalable.  Pixel sizes are absolute sizes and
therefor not scalable.  Since IE does not have a zoom function, we must use
ems (M$ again!)

IMHO we have come to the decision that we must support as many browsers as
possible to make sure that the site can be viewed be all these techi guys
using older browsers on *nix.  The content pane of the site can use CSS
since it will make the creation a lot simpler (as you already pointed out).

Feel free to create a skin of your own and commit ;-)  It's not hard to do.

Bert