forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject Re: new skin
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 07:19:05 GMT
At 00:54 31/05/2002 +1000, you wrote:
> > I have created a "bert" skin and built the forrest site with it.
> > You can see the result at www.dream-models.com/xml-forrest.
> > Some adjustments still need to be done to CSS.
> > I did not add any extra functionality like automatic path are paging _yet_.
> > The page is compliant to CSS1 and almost to W3C HTML transitional.  I only
> > need to get rid of some linefeeds at the bottom of the page.
> > Check it out and let me know if it's ok.
> > Bert
> >
> > This mail is written in 100% recycled electrons.
> >

>I'm not able to do side by side here so not sure what's changed but -
>Visually feels better to me, my eye seems to sit more easily on the content
>- the blue areas seems less imposing, not sure what has changed that. The
>menu is  more ordered (pun intended) so is more relaxed on my eye. also I
>like the breadcrumbs navigation using colon  - more compact which tightens
>up the look of it.

hmmm, I think you are imagining things.  I used the code from the static
HTML page and threw that in XSL to create the site.  The resulting HTML
should be "nearly" the same.
The only thing that is different is that I started using CSS to "clean
things up" a little.  This without breaking the view in older browsers.  I
can't replace font tags or bgcolor attributes exactly for this reason!!

>You have reduced the the features of the search form.. will they come back?
>Also where am I searching? - all of apache? - all of Forrest? - we need
>somehow to tell the user this - don't make them have to think :) - must help
>the User feel in control of their destiny.

The search function doesn't work at xml.apache.org/forrest, but if you loof
at the code behind it, it searches the google database in pages from
xml.apache.org.  The only error in the search form was the submit
button.  I corrected it and opened the result in a new window.  The web and
mail archive options are not working yet, but your remark on "what we are
searching" is correct.  I'll add something soon.  I suppose that in the
future, when forrest has moved to a dynamic site, we will be able to use
Lucene search to search the site.

>I'll do MAC full browser test Friday night but IE and Moz are solid!.

Thanks, I'm sure the result will be the same compared to the static HTML page.

><bert>
>  I had a possible job come up this morning which is direct to client so I'm
>flat out doing quote which is due close of business Friday. I'll be set to
>do  WAI code over weekend possibly Monday too.. I'm thinking that I should
>follow your lead with XSLT and add in WAI code- do whatever other HTML
>transforms I can..  whatever suites you.. Cheers.
></bert>

Just post your suggestions.  I'll add your pagination and "back to top"
footer soon too.

Bert