forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject RE: page update
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 11:45:17 GMT
At 15:20 27/05/2002 +0400, you wrote:
> > From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
> > > From: Bert Van Kets [mailto:bert@vankets.com]
> > > Subject: page update
> > >

> > > Hi all,
> > > I've updated the page a little to comply to the first
> > > remarks.  Since these
> > > were pretty small I could do them quickly.
> > > I copied the menu and the content from the current home page and
> > > implemented a subset of the current stylesheet.  I tested the
> > > CSS to CSS1
> > > rules and I only get complaints about the hover pseudo class,
> > > since that
> > > doesn't exist in CSS officially.
> >
> > Well done, Bert.
> >
> > The HTML is reasonably clean, sizing goes well, setting the font-size
> > too. I'd personally like to see as much of the <font>
> > elements move to a
> > CSS approach as well, unless this would mean alienating the NS4 users.
> > Maybe we should set a bounty for each <font> and <table> element that
> > still can be avoided without breaking this elderly browser, and
> > hopefully Mozilla 1 gets released soon for those platforms that are
> > still forced to use NS4.
>
>What about separate stylesheets for 5.x+ and old the other browsers?
>Mainaining 2 different stylesheets won't be much difficult. We can have two
>versions of the site: Advanced and Simple, that can be choosed by the user
>using a link on the front page (or maybe some setting in httpd can be used
>to select the needed content depending on the User-Agent).

I already am anticipating this.  I will create the simple HTML based
version first and then clean out the stuff that can be replaced by
CSS.  This will ensure that both versions are as similar as possible.
I was even playing with the idea of sending a version number to the
stylesheet and building an HTML or a CSS version using it.  This way the
"structure" of the site can remain in one file and styling is added the way
required (either <font> tags or style attribute).

Any other ideas?

Bert