forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject Re: Forrest HTML
Date Sun, 26 May 2002 16:56:47 GMT

>>I don't agree since you will be getting a VERY false image on browser
>>use.  Let me give an extreme example:  You have a page that is only
>>viewable on IE.  How many Netscape hits do you think you will get?
>>NONE!
>>We must start out with the most common delimiter starting from a certain
>>browser version
>
>How have you determined what that is without viewing some current site
>stats or doing User profiling?

If you go that way, you have the chicken-and-the-egg problem.  You can only
get  a *correct* browser version and type you have to target once the site
has been running for a while wile being compatible with ALL of them. If you
don't do this, you will never get correct stats.
It's a hard way to go, but it can make a world of difference in user visits.

>>  and a certain group of browser types (IE4, NS 4.08 Opera5 and Lynx
>> 2.4).  Only after a certain period of time will the server stats tell of
>> we can upgrade our technology.
>>
>>Bert
>>

>also I can help you with testing I have 3 macs and a win2k box which
>I can install any OS between 8.0 and 9.1 on the older Mac but need to keep
>IE5 installed on the Win2k box on OS X on my other macs, but I
>have pretty much every major browser release for the Macs going back to
>Netscape 2... I suspect your Mac User profile might be a OS X only zone. :)

Thanks for the offer.  I'm almost done with the pure HTML version.  I'll
let the list know as soon as I have something online.  There are some
pretty complex nested tables in the page, but it shows up perfectly in
Netscape 4.08 while being  scaleable in text and browser size!

Bert