forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject Re: Forrest HTML
Date Sun, 26 May 2002 08:55:03 GMT
At 22:14 25/05/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi David,
>
>David Crossley wrote:
>
>>Bert Van Kets wrote:

>>>The logs of the webserver can provide that info.  Who do we need to call
>>>upon for this one??
>>>

>>At one stage in early Forrest, there were some people working
>>on automated graphs of server and project statistics. During
>>that discussion there was talk of access to certain logfiles
>>and summaries. I tried to find the discussion, but no luck.
>>Here is one bit ...
>>Re: Graph data
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=101431895118362
>>
>>However, do we really need to know? Will browser and OS statistics
>>actually help us? I think not. Let us stick to the cleanest
>>(X)HTML code that we can manage with our powerful tools.
>Well the cleanest would be using CSS :) But the reason to check what
>browsers the users actually use will tell us what browsers *need* to look
>perfect. Those that fall into a certain low percentage and display the
>page incorrectly are not considered in testing,  nor is time spent on
>trying to make it work.

I don't agree since you will be getting a VERY false image on browser
use.  Let me give an extreme example:  You have a page that is only
viewable on IE.  How many Netscape hits do you think you will get?  NONE!
We must start out with the most common delimiter starting from a certain
browser version and a certain group of browser types (IE4, NS 4.08 Opera5
and Lynx 2.4).  Only after a certain period of time will the server stats
tell of we can upgrade our technology.

Bert