forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject Re: Forrest HTML (was: draft howto dtd)
Date Sun, 26 May 2002 08:50:38 GMT
At 20:32 25/05/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>My only comment is:
>
>Can't believe you're doin all this by yourself !

Hey, I'm just creating an optimized HTML page at this time.  I'll convert
it to XSL later on.  Using the KISS principle helps a lot.  Start with the
oldest technology and try to get things done, if that doesn't work, only
then resort to newer ones.  This is not a valid statement for all
technologies, but in browser land it's a MUST.
There is one more reason for all this I didn't mention yet: using plain
HTML has a LOT of advantages in getting pages indexed in search
engines.  The robots used by the major search engines are not the most
advanced programs around and certainly are picky on the page content.

>It usually takes enterprise usability teams months and months to do
>something like that.

Hmmm, I think you are exaggerating a bit.  Or you have a completely wrong
view on what I'm doing.
I simply created a VMWare installation with Windows95 and one with
Windows98.  Win95 comes with IE4, Win98 with IE5.0.  Simply copying the
VMdisk file and upgrading the copy to IE5.5 solved the IE part.  Addind
some Netscape and Opera versions is just a matter of downloading and
installing.
I already had a Suse Linux disk file, so that was easy enough.  Using this
configuration I can run 4 CLEAN installations and 1 dirty one (the host OS
- Win2K) on 1 machine.
It only took me 1 day to get all this running.  Most of the stuff was done
in background while working on my Cocoon project.

>Bert Rocks !

Hold your horses.  I will only be rocking when the result is accepted by
the group.  Thanks anyway!

Bert
msn: hawk10000@hotmail.com