forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <>
Subject Re: Forrest HTML (was: draft howto dtd)
Date Sat, 25 May 2002 20:28:15 GMT
At 10:48 25/05/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>Another minor comment about the current Forrest layout.
>It appears that the font size of the body text is fixed.
>I usually use larger fonts setting in the browser, but it doesn't
>affect Forrest pages.

That's because the current design of Forrest is mainly based on CSS and teh
font sizes are set fixed.
I'm doing a completely new HTML coding of the page to be compatible with
older browser versions.  My target is Netscape 4.08!  When a site runs fine
on that one, it will run on most anything.  I''m not completely done, but
it's going pretty well.  I'm basing my layout on the design from
Stefano.  It looks a lot better than the current one.
I'm also taking people with bad vision into account and will make text
sizable. Blind people are not forgotten either, so all images have their
alt and height and width tags.

I will check the HTML with following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 4 (Win95)
- Internet Explorer 5.0 (Win98)
- Internet Explorer 5.5 (Win98)
- Internet Explorer 6 (Win2K)
- Netscape Navigator 4.08 (Win98)
- Netscape Communicator 4.79 (Win98)
- Netscape Communicator 4.79 (Suse Linux 7.3)
- Netscape 6.2.2 (Win2K)
- Lynx 2.4.2 (Win98 Dos prompt)
- Lynx 2.8.3 (Win2K Dos prompt)
- Opera 5.02 (Win98)
- Opera 6.02 (Win2K)

I think I've got enough with these.  Does anybody need tests with other?

My main criteria are:
- Navigation must be possible in all versions
- Style must be as similar as possible to the graphical design in all browsers
- The page must give the impression of fast loading.  (NOT putting
everything in 1 table is a must for this one)
- page must be browsable and look "OK" with graphics off
- code must comply to W3C standards
- Visitor must not be forced upon a certain text size or screen size (I
hate "best viewed with" messages)  Specially the text resizing is not easy
if you want to maintain an look.

All this will be poured in a forrest skin.  Long live this technology!

I'm doing my best to get the code ready ASAP.

Any comments or additions?

View raw message