forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@dream-models.com>
Subject Re: Forrest graphic libary (Was: copyright issues with images)
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 10:07:11 GMT
Hi David,
I agree with your "text based graphics" completely.  They speed up a page
tremendously.

At 19:21 23/05/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>Good idea Bert. You are already helping out Forrest just by reading
>the list and putting your mind towards it. If you want to do more, great.

thought hasn't produced anything yet (wish that was true). :-)

>Personally, i would only use little graphics where they are of benefit.
>Otherwise i use plain text. For example, a green tick or a red cross
>on an error report of a form submission.
>
>So yes, i would see the need for a collection of well-chosen graphics.
>Obviously when they are stored in a central directory, then they
>could get re-used across all of Forrest's site builds. I expect that
>when Forrest starts to produce statistics, then we will need certain
>graphics.

I'll see what I can do to help.  I will need some guidance though.

>Do you have the time to start a process to define what types and
>purposes for a graphic library? We could start small. Perhaps you
>can browse the other Apache projects to see if there is a need
>for this.

Who does have time????  I will work a little harder on my other projects,
scrape off a little from my free time, sleep a little less and I think I
will be able to make some time.

>Yes, your best way would be to do 'cvs checkout' then build
>Forrest on your local system ... you see the results of your
>modifications immediately.

I beat you to it, already did that.  I'm doing a Cocoon project at the time
and I'm doing a fresh checkout and build every day.  It's hard to keep up.

>By the way, what do you call them ... graphics, icons, logos?

logo = the graphical presentation of a company or association (Apache logo)
icon = symbolic representation of a thing (help icon, sitemap icon)
graphic = any graphical representation (images, charts, backgrounds, ..)

I'll add some more to add to the confusion
layout = the overall graphical presentation of a page (includes text, images,
image = photo or drawing

I have contacted a friend of mine who's a professional web designer (a good
one to my taste).  He's interested in contributing too.  I'm more a
technical person, he's more a designer.  His name is Frederic Robesyn and
he will subscribe to this list today.

Bert