forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: some Forrest pages are browser killers
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 10:27:56 GMT
Robert Koberg wrote:

> hi,
>
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> >Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >

> >>From: "David Crossley" <crossley@indexgeo.com.au>

> >>CSS does have this effect on NS 7.
> >>It is a quite known thing, allthough it's the first time it happens to me
> >>:-(
> >>

> >Then i would like to see us using far more basic CSS ... there is no
> >need to kill such a commonly used browser. Nothing in our page
> >design needs to be that fancy.
> >--David
> >

> I wonder who if anybody can push the envelope?  Are there any statistics
> on browser percentage?

Last time we checked, we had more than 10% of the browser hits that
weren't coming from 5th/6th generation browsers. 10% is simply too much
to ignore.

> I thought Forrest was supposed to be a best of breed thing. If you want
> a tight L&F across browsers you *need* nested tables. Is that what you
> really want? I would think a forward thiysteg project would focus on
> standards compliant browsers and let the rest eat basic html.
>
> What is the promise of cocoon? I am drawn to it because it purports to
> make it easy to render you content in a format suitable for your client.
> But, it seems that we want to make the most dumbed down version to
> support inferior products.

The problem here is not Cocoon but the lack of dynamism on the server
side that hosts the built pages.

There is a possibility, tough, even if it's a pretty serious hack: it is
possible to transform a sitemap into mod_rewrite rules directly and let
Apache send the different HTML depending on the browser capabilities.

But I'm *not* the one who is going to do that :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.