forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: Forrest HTML
Date Sun, 26 May 2002 05:14:03 GMT
Hi David,

David Crossley wrote:

>Bert Van Kets wrote:
>

>>Robert Koberg wrote:
>>

>>>There are alot of platforms and browsers to cover. Does this need to work
>>>on all of them? What is the criteria to exclude a platform/browser from
>>>the accepted list? There should really be some statistics as to what of
>>>types of browsers are coming to apache.
>>>

>>The logs of the webserver can provide that info.  Who do we need to call
>>upon for this one??
>>

>At one stage in early Forrest, there were some people working
>on automated graphs of server and project statistics. During
>that discussion there was talk of access to certain logfiles
>and summaries. I tried to find the discussion, but no luck.
>Here is one bit ...
>Re: Graph data
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=101431895118362
>
>However, do we really need to know? Will browser and OS statistics
>actually help us? I think not. Let us stick to the cleanest
>(X)HTML code that we can manage with our powerful tools.

Well the cleanest would be using CSS :) But the reason to check what
browsers the users actually use will tell us what browsers *need* to
look perfect. Those that fall into a certain low percentage and display
the page incorrectly are not considered in testing,  nor is time spent
on trying to make it work.

best,
-Rob