forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: draft howto dtd
Date Sun, 26 May 2002 05:10:01 GMT
Hi,

On the book.xml (menu/site-structure) and index.xml (content piece), for
example: why duplicate link's href values - if you had access to
book.xml (the menu or site structure) you could reference links by ID
instead of a hard coded link. For example the content hard codes links
to faq.html or http://xml.apache.org/cocoon. Why not have these in one
location (book.xml) and refer to them? It would be nice to reuse the
data provided by book.xml (perhaps even store more page level meta info
there?? show-toc, show-meta-data, show-on-nav - or at the folder level:
number-pages, show-on-nav - etc). Even better have book.xml be a
representation of the entire site hierarchy. Then you can recursviely
build paths to documents. For all the good book.xml does it could be
written straight into the XSLT (and included :).

I still don't see what is wrong with using import or include to bring
together many XSLTs into one. The cocoon way of performing multiple
transformations seems like way too much work when you want to break your
XSLT into component pieces for easy reusability.

I think you miss a *great deal* of the benefit of XSLT by not using the
document function and import/include. I can't seem to come up with a
good way to do the things I want to do without them.

I would love clear, explicit documentation on how to do things that are
commonplace in regular XSLT but are to be avoided when using cocoon.

best,
-Rob