forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: some Forrest pages are browser killers
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 02:03:33 GMT
hi,

David Crossley wrote:

>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>From: "David Crossley" <crossley@indexgeo.com.au>
>>

>>>Something in the primer document is a browser killer !!!
>>>
>>>No trouble with Mozilla on Linux. However, when i use
>>>Netscape 4.78 on Linux ... boom ... instant death during
>>>reading of the HTML. It did not even start to render the
>>>page ... Netscape just vanished.
>>>
>>>I have only seen it happen with two pages:
>>>primer.html and document-v11.html
>>>
>>>I have no clues as to why.
>>>

>>CSS does have this effect on NS 7.
>>It is a quite known thing, allthough it's the first time it happens to me
>>:-(
>>

>Then i would like to see us using far more basic CSS ... there is no
>need to kill such a commonly used browser. Nothing in our page
>design needs to be that fancy.
>--David

I wonder who if anybody can push the envelope?  Are there any statistics
on browser percentage? Why doesn't cocoon run on java1.0? I wonder how
many hits from Nav4.n browsers are people trying to make sure their site
works on Nav4.n...

I thought Forrest was supposed to be a best of breed thing. If you want
a tight L&F across browsers you *need* nested tables. Is that what you
really want? I would think a forward thiysteg project would focus on
standards compliant browsers and let the rest eat basic html.

What is the promise of cocoon? I am drawn to it because it purports to
make it easy to render you content in a format suitable for your client.
But, it seems that we want to make the most dumbed down version to
support inferior products.

fwiw,
-Rob