forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: draft howto dtd
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 19:24:21 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> My main concerns with XML Schemas isn't based on its (quite insane set
> of) data types. It's the model behind it which tries to be too much for
> too many different people, and the syntax which is obfuscating at best.

You can do the same things a DTD can: describe what elements
can be children to elements, and what attributes an element
can have.
The equivalent of
  <!ELEMENT document (title,sect1+)>
is
  <xsd:element name="document">
   <xsd:sequence>
    <xsd:element name="title" type="title"/>
    <xsd:element maxOccurs="unbounded" name="sect1" type="sect1"/>
   </xsd:sequence>
  </xsd:complexType>

It's not all that horrible. And if you don't want to look at it,
don't do it: write a style sheet to visualize the aspects you want.
By the time you need it, chances are that some other lazy guy has
already done this.

> and in many chances not transferable/equivalently
> interpreted between different tools.

On what observations do you base this statement? After all,
I have no really good idea what else beside a schema driven
editor and a validator is going to use the schema, and both
use it for validation, which is pretty much nailed down, no
room for interpretation there.
And the validation is also only used to assure that you are
not missing important stuff in your documents and that snippet
grabbers get their stuff at the place where they expect it.
We are not writing XML database optimizers taking advantage
of arcane complex restrictions on the data structure for
performance boost of two orders of magnitudes. We can worry
about this after Forrest is built on top of an XML database :-)

J.Pietschmann