forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: draft howto dtd
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 18:40:16 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> I fully agree that going away from DTDs at this time is not a good
> idea. To me, the XML Schema looks too cumbersome, especially
> for our documentation needs.

While I don't like XSchema all that much and agree that it is
very bloated, I don't see what makes it too cumbersome for
documentation. You don't have to use all the fine details in
an XSchema for docs.
It could be an argument that DTDs are easier to read. But then
why do people look into DTDs? They want to know the structure
of the document they want to write. In case of an XSchema, you
can generate a nice HTML visualizing the allowed structure,
even better than a DTD. You can have multiple visualizations
from different points of view. Only the document structure
developers really have to bother with XSchema syntax and
semantics. And of course the validation tools :-)

J.Pietschmann