forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: draft howto dtd
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 18:09:06 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> From: "Ivelin Ivanov" <ivelin@apache.org>
>>Do you guys thing its time to switch the DTD to XML Schema ?
> What is the technical reason for the use we do?

You can do some rather cooooool things with XSchema. For
example having elements which can have elements from
a *namespace* as children. In general, namespace support
can make for a much better modularity.
Lets say you write some docs (<grin>). You have some
elements for prosa. Some elements for describing
command line programs. Of course, you have a "parameter"
element there. Then you describe APIs, where you also
want to have a "parameter" element, but this, of course,
has slightly different semantics. With namespaces, you
can have cmd-ui:parameter and api:parameter elements,
and you can use them within one document. Even more useful
for other heavily overloaded terms, like "class" and
"component". You can have an element doc:command-line-def
which has only elements from cmd-ui:*. You can start with
a few elements in the cmd-ui namespace and add more later,
without having to change the definitions of the elements
where they are referred to. This can save a lot of work
while keeping validation useful (rather than ANY). It's
even better for references, for example you can reference
XMI stuff from docs. Basically, XSchema allows you to
view all your current DTD as one big modular structure
definition (if you want to), and you can do cross references
to *stuff* in other docs rather that using URLs to the
HTMLized transformation result. If properly done, you can
automatically check and *construct* cross references.
Well, lets stop here...

J.Pietschmann