forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: draft howto dtd
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 13:54:16 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> Sorry for being so frank, but after teaching some courses on XML
> Schemas, I'm quite convinced it is a horribly bloated language.

Could hardly agree more.

I still think RelaxNG is the way to go... besides, it's piece of cake to
write a Cocoon transformer that uses JClark's code to perform
validation. Or even more: write a Xerces2 XNI plugin that does that (if
you don't know, Xerces 2.0 internally uses a pipeline approach which is
very similar to Cocoon's even if only parsing/validation oriented).

So, please, if we move away from DTDs (and I think we should at one
point, given the lack of namespace support that is starting to hurt a
lot!) please consider RelaxNG before XMLSchema.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.