forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: file naming convention
Date Sun, 05 May 2002 11:51:28 GMT
Diana Shannon wrote:

> Given Forrest's stated goal of a clean URI space, I assume file naming
> convention is on topic here. If so, what do you think is an ideal http
> URI space (which includes filenames) for community-contributed FAQ,
> How-To, Tutorial, Example documents?
>
> I started investigating this issue by reading Tim Berner-Lee's article
> on the subject (See http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html). Tim
> makes some interesting recommendations for "good" and "bad" HTTP URIs.
> Here's a summary of what I find relevant to Forrest:
>
> BAD: subject/topic (e.g. install, markup, action)
> REASON: too subject to interpretation, likely to change in meaning over
> time, need to reuse in the future
>
> BAD: extension (e.g. .html, .xml, .pl)
> REASON: delivery mechanisms will change
>
> BAD: author's name
> REASON: authorship may change over time
>
> GOOD: dates (e.g. 020430)
> REASON: The date the URI is issued will not change. Helps to separate
> requests which use a new system from those which use an old system.
>
> Following these guidelines, we might use some variant of:
>    www.apache.org/<forrest-project>/documents/faqs/020503
>    www.apache.org/<forrest-project>/documents/howtos/020603
>
> Questions
> 1. Is this overkill for the needs of projects like Forrest, given the
> short life of documents tied to software release cycle? Tim states that
> it is "the duty of a Webmaster to allocate URIs which [he/she]  will be
> able to stand by in 2 years, in 20 years, in 200 years." Do you agree
> with that? Jakob Nielson's article on a similar subject
> (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990321.html) suggests the useful
> remaining lifetime of any domain is a mere ten years. Do we really need
> to be concerned beyond two years?
>
> 2. Don't we need to continue the use of extensions, for static site
> versions, etc.?
>
> 3. Numbers in URIs remain cryptic and uninviting to me.

I totally agree.

> Maybe I'm
> hopelessly corrupt from years of bad habits, but I *like* topics in
> filenames, something like:
>    www.apache.org/<forrest-project>/documents/faqs/config_jboss.html
>    www.apache.org/<forrest-project>/documents/howto/sendmail.html

I see nothing wrong in that.

> Is it a simply a trade-off between usefulness and longevity?

No, I don't think that

/install

is less longev than

/20020324

they just serve different purposes: the first identifies the resource
'how to install cocoon', the second refers to the particular version of
that resource, thus they are two different things.

> If so, then
> I'd rather err on the side of usefulness given the limited lifetime of
> the documents in question.

I agree.
                          able to give birth to a dancing star.