forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <terrac...@mac.com>
Subject draft howto dtd
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 18:25:06 GMT
Attached is a howto dtd draft, along with a sample doc to validate. A
few notes.

1. I think the header element contains a lot of useful cms-related info.
Perhaps version can be used to imply status: draft/release/revision. I'm
not sure of its precise meaning with code, but perhaps "draft" document
versions could have a value less than 1, etc.

2. id attribute (via %common.att;) is defined for howto, so if CMS needs
to manage docs via that attribute, we're still ok.

3. I declared one additional child element of header:
last-modified-content-date. Its purpose is to provide meaning to the
reader based on content changes, not mere structural changes, etc. I'm
not sure if it duplicates revision history structure at the bottom.

4. I'm trying to take what is a liberal approach to what is allowed by
the dtd. For example, I didn't use %content.mix; anywhere. I wanted to
allow authors the chance to use lists for prerequesites, intended
audience, etc. Perhaps some of you will consider this too loose.

5. Steve, I wonder if you're going to dislike the way I'm treating
titles (as attributes) in each howto part. I just found it a little
simpler to implement this way. Feel free to revise, in anticipation of
your v11 work.

Anyway, please improve it. I'm certainly no expert. Snippets/tutorials
dtds will be similarly structured, so I'll wait for comments before
submitting those.

Many thanks.

Diana