forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Forrest look-and-feel
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 09:32:29 GMT
Bert Van Kets wrote:
> Hi Forestiers,
>
> David Crossley wrote:
> >It would help to try keep the look-and-feel aspects discussed
> >in a separate thread and leave the browser-specific things
> >to the other threads.
> >
> >A few issues have been identified so far. Please add any more
> >such high-level issues.
> >
> >1) Square edges on the panels vs rounded corners.
>
> The decision to create rounded edges was not made by me.  I based this on
> the design from Stefano.  There is a PhotoShop file in
> src\resources\layout\xml.apache.org created by Stefano (and girlfriend to
> be exact).  I liked it, so used it to create the page.
> I clearly stated in my mails that I would use that file to create the page.
> If I did not need to implement the rounded corners I could have finished
> the page in 1 third the time!  I spent a LOT of time getting the corners
> right *every time*.

Sorry, but i did alert the list to the fact that Stefano's
first cut was not final.

If it takes a lot of effort to get the rounded bits to happen,
then i would suggest that indicates that they are too complex
and should be dumped. That is my rule-of-thumb in programming
too - it indicates that i am trying to do it the wrong way.

> >2) Need minimum indents for <ul><li> in the menu panel.
> >Can basic CSS can fix that?
>
> This is just content.  At the moment it is done with unnumbered lists, but
> we can change that to lines with indents done by graphics or a table grid.
>

> >3) Where will the page title be placed? Will it just be the
> >first piece of content below the light-blue "Page 1 of 5"?
> >Will it be an <h2> level heading?
>
> Actually an h1 would be more relevant since it's considered more important,
> specially by robots indexing the page.  We can style it using CSS.  The
> location looks correct to me.
>

> >4) Is something gained by the white vertical bar down
> >the left-hand side of the window? We need to retain all
> >possible page space.
>
> It adds a little to the design, but can certainly be removed.  A lot will
> need to change then.  There's a 1 pixel line around the menu that will be
> rather ugly if it gets right up to the edge.  I can remove the little line,
> but then a lot of "finesse" is lost from the design.
> Removing the white line simplifies the page a lot.  Getting the little
> piece of horizontal bar at the left of the menu scale up with the right
> part was one of the challenges of the page.  I cheated a little there since
> they are not in the same table and probably don't scale *exactly* the
> same.  Since the menu is between the two no one will ever see it.  I tested
> it with very little to very large text in different browsers and you really
> have to take a ruler to see the difference in height a large text sizes.

Leave it there then. However, alarm bells are ringing
out "too complex" again.

> >*) More?
>
> The French say "Les gouts et les couleurs, on ne discutte pas" (we don't
> discuss taste and color) which actually means that there will always be
> differences in opinion on style.  One likes rounded corners, the other
> doesn't.  One likes a white line at the left, the other doesn't.  This
> discussion is endless!

I so not worry about taste and colour ... only usability
matters, and that means not wasting any valuable space on
the page. That is why i raised the issue of the vertical white
bar. I do agree that it helps to give the page a nice look.

> Let's make one thing clear: Let's first come to a decision on the layout
> (what you guys call "look and feel") and only then adjust the page.  If we
> keep discussing and trying adjusting I'll be doing nothing but adjusting
> the page all day long.  I thought the design was decided upon the
> layout/design from Stefano.  Remarks and adjustments should have been made
> then. I made it very clear that I was going to use that design to start from.

The design was there for guidance but was not final.
I guess that we are now seeing troubles when we try to
go to implement it, and we need to revisit the layout.
Can the two ever be separated?

> I might sound harsh, but I've lost *countless* hours in the past creating
> and adjusting designs for customers who don't really know what they
> want.  Since we are in a very distributed group here who can't sit around
> the table and make a final decision in a few hours I guess we must all
> accept the fact that we use a site that looks acceptable to everybody but
> mainly is technologically sound.
>
> Let's get a final agreement on the design and only then will I go on
> adjusting the page.

Well, we certainly do not want to waste anyone's time.
However, it is far better to waste a little time now than
to be stuck with a monster when we try to produce it with XSLT.

> Bert
>
> P.S. The above is meant to be constructive!  I'm not pissed off, just hate
> to lose time on decision reviews.  Do not start a flame war again.  I don't
> want to be crying in the corner like Nikola ;-)

Please do not try to make jokes. We have seen that it
does not work in email.
--David