forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Forrest is running :-)
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 14:38:23 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <>

> On Wed, 29 May 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi <> wrote:
> > From: "Stefan Bodewig" <>
> >> and the first thing *I* would do was getting rid of
> >> completely, I want *my* Ant, not Forrest's Ant to do the job.
> >
> > Well, I know what your opinion about this is, and I see your
> > points.
> The emphasis on my person in the paragraph above stems from the fact
> that my version of Ant will certainly always be newer than the one
> coming with Forrest of Centipede.

But you may have optional.jar in the classpath.
In latest centipede this breaks the build, since the optional tasks are
defined in  "cents".
Maybe you recall my post on Ant-Dev about this issue.

> No problem with providing a simple build environment for the average
> user, but completely bypassing the users environemnt (and unsetting
> ANT_HOME if present) is not nice.  You should at least document that
> it will never use the user's "normal" version of Ant.

You are right.
If the build system is Ant, we should not set ANT_HOME ourselves... but
AFAIK we are resetting it after the call to the original state and
is not but yes, we should be more clear.

Since The build will use Centipede, and Centipede will not be Ant but simply
use it, we will have Centipede as arequirement, not Ant.

Which basically means that you are right, and we are working to change the
current system.  :-)

Nicola Ken Barozzi
            - verba volant, scripta manent -