forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wish/Dream List for Document DTD
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 12:50:20 GMT
From: "Piroumian Konstantin" <KPiroumian@protek.com>

> > From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> > From: "Piroumian Konstantin" <KPiroumian@protek.com>
> > > Maybe we can simply vote for replacing all the 'link'
> > clones and leaving the
> > > one that the most people are used to? I mean simple <link href=""
> > > [target=""] /> (not sure for the 'target')?
> > >
> > > What are the objections?
> >
> > As the use of the old DTD showed us, link clones are at best
> > confusing, and
> > not well understood.
> > This happens because we have different tags with the same meaning, but
> > different behaviour.
> >
> > Attributes should be used in these cases, so I agree.
> >
> > <link href="" [ref=""] [external="true|false"] />
> >
> > href: url
> > ref: id to jump to
>
> +0.5 (I don't quite like the 'href'/'ref' naming, but it's Ok for now).

It just seemed easy for me to use href since it's so known in <a href="">,
and take the "h" away to make it internal.
I couldn't come up with nothing better :-(

Any other suggestion? (I don't like target, it remembers the target in <a>
but with a different meaning I think)

> > external= true if the link points to a resource that is out of context
>
> I see how that 'external' links can be displayed in a different way, but
how
> they should behave? One will need to control if the link is opened in the
> same window, a new one or in another frame. So, what about a 'target'
> attribute (maybe along with the 'external')?

Hmmm... target attribute seems too much tied to implementation, it doesn't
have much sense in mediums that don't have frames, like PDF.

"external"  just says that the link is outside the context of the document;
Cocoon site opens a new window, a framed site can open it in another frame,
M$ site puts an icon on the right of the link saying that it links to
outside content.

As you see we have different ways of telling the user the same thing
(semantics): "this link is out of context".

Maybe a context="internal|external" is clearer?

I'm *very* bad at naming things when I /have/ to, so don't take my naming
suggestions literally  ;-)