forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: draft howto dtd
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 12:36:37 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
Konstantin wrote:
> <snip/>
> > E.g. all Cocoon transformers, logicsheets and some generators
> > should have their corresponding DTDs or schemas and they
> > should be linked from the docs.
> > I can see a lot more good features with XSD: filtering by
> > element types, sorting, getting attributes for an element.
> > I even think that some parts of docs can be autogenerated from
> > XSD using the comments from it.
>
> Yep, these are very good use cases, if only there was some real interest
> in actually maintaining these XML-described interfaces... Developers
> prefer sticking to source code interface contracts rather than XML
> grammars, I fear. Also, I'm not really a supporter of autogenerated
> documentation, but that's my personal pessimism, I guess :-)

Yes, i continue to be amazed that many parts of Cocoon do
not define the structure of some of the generated xml bits.
For most of them an internal DTD subset would suffice.

Cocoon seems more Java-driven than XML-driven. There is
also no validation of XML configuration files, other than via
internal code in the component's Java classes. This seems
like a lot of needless work to me. If the files were known to be
valid XML then the code could directly rely on it, and so take
advantage of the power of XML.

I have tried to raise this topic on cocoon-dev a couple
of times, but it has gone nowhere.
--David