forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: draft howto dtd
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 12:29:51 GMT
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
>
> > Do you guys thing its time to switch the DTD to XML Schema ?
> > Xalan supports XML Schema validation and I've used it in
> > production for a while now.
>
> Dropping DTD would probably be a bad idea IMO, since not all the XML
> processors support XML Schema. I prefer to use Saxon with its builtin
> XML parser or with Crimson because they're smaller and faster than
> xerces.
>
> Also most of the free XML editors don't support XML Schema yet,
> including my favorite one Xemacs.

I fully agree that going away from DTDs at this time is not a good
idea. To me, the XML Schema looks too cumbersome, especially
for our documentation needs.

I do agree that DTDs are not quite powerful enough to do full
XML and content validation. However there are better tools
than XSD for that. Back in February we had a couple of short
threads about RELAX NG ...
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=101431895118300
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=101431895118321

Konstantin said that he liked XSD because it could be presented
using XSLT. There are tools in the abovementioned threads to
convert a DTD into an XML form, so you could achieve the
same thing. The generated grammar would need to be cleaned
up, like all autogenerated stuff.
--David