forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wish/Dream List for Document DTD
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 09:23:20 GMT
From: "Piroumian Konstantin" <KPiroumian@protek.com>

> David,
>
> > From: David Crossley [mailto:crossley@indexgeo.com.au]
> > Please see the "links" section of the Demo document-v11
> > where we have some issues with <link> and <jump>
> > Some of us are very unclear about the distinction between.
> > We also discussed it a bit here ...
> >  Re: new demo document-v11
> >  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102118987017521
>
> Thanks for pointing me to this thread. This is exactly the same thing that
> am trying to achieve. I absolutely share this opinion:
>
> <quot>
> I remember getting very confused by the jump element (and fork
> and connect) when i started writing a big doc for Cocoon.
> I wanted a little table-of-contents at the top to jump to relevant
> sections below. So confused that i resorted to using simple
> <link href="#anchor"> which worked OK.
> </quot>
>
> Maybe we can simply vote for replacing all the 'link' clones and leaving
the
> one that the most people are used to? I mean simple <link href=""
> [target=""] /> (not sure for the 'target')?
>
> What are the objections?

As the use of the old DTD showed us, link clones are at best confusing, and
not well understood.
This happens because we have different tags with the same meaning, but
different behaviour.

Attributes should be used in these cases, so I agree.

<link href="" [ref=""] [external="true|false"] />

href: url
ref: id to jump to
external= true if the link points to a resource that is out of context

            - verba volant, scripta manent -