forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Wings] charting development
Date Mon, 13 May 2002 21:18:01 GMT
From: "John Morrison" <john.r.morrison@ntlworld.com>

> > From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
> >
> > John,
> >
> > > I did a search of Google and sourceforge and,
> > > although I know Keiron from the FOP development I've not found
> > > any mention of wings (at least, nothing to do with Java Chart
> > > development ;)
> > >

> > Keiron is proposing to contribute his own unnamed code to Wings, I
> > believe...
>
> Would it be better placed in the Cocoon project (third party if
> necessary)?  I know *I* could use it for some of the project's I'm
> involved with...

It can be placed anywhere, but as for Community, I think that Cocoon
scratchpad or contrib is not the answer.

I had more commits on wings on krysalis than in Cocoon scratchpad for the
Cocoon Chart2Svg Transformer.

> > Wings itself is situated at
> > http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-wings/
> > currently, but doesn't offer any XML i/o as far as I understand. Having
> > an XML input to a charting package would be cool and alleviate some of
> > the Forrest burdens, I guess...
>
> come to that, does wing's plug into Cocoon or Krysalis/Centipede?

Wings is just a charting package.

> > A friend mentioned http://www.object-refinery.com/jfreechart/, doesn't
> > have any XML input, too, plus it uses LGPL as a license...
>
> I don't know what licenses we can/can't use :(  I think it's a shame
> we can't all work together.
>
> I'll take a look at the jfreechart, perhaps we could come up with a common
> DTD/Schema for describing charts in XML?  Thats what I wanted to do with
> the code I contributed to Batik - start a development going, but nothing
> caught :(

Well, the primary goal of Wings is to become a charting package API.
Secondly of having an Apache license implementation.

I had a discussion with JChart main dev, and asked him to merge with
Krysalis.

He thinks that LGPL serves him better...

Anyway, we just had a volunteer on the krysalis list to make the Cocoon
Chart Transformer working.

Krysalis is a momentum builder, and it's starting to work.

We are constantly in the top 100 on sf, and 20 on the mailing list, growing
per 2-3 a day.

I think that it's a good opportunity for starting new projects, don't you
think?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -